- Provides automatic load balancing over all the available disks, thus reducing hot spots in the file system
- Prevents fragmentation of disks, so you don't need to manually relocate data to tune I/O performance
- Adding disks is straight forward - ASM automatically performs online disk reorganization when you add or remove storage
- Uses redundancy features available in intelligent storage arrays
- The storage system can store all types of database files
- Using disk group makes configuration easier, as files are placed into disk groups
- ASM provides stripping and mirroring (fine and coarse gain)
- ASM and non-ASM oracle files can coexist
- ASM is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For this sample installation I use only one Disk and create logical partitions on it. For production implementation create a primary partition on each disk.
To create a logical partition, the size is in MB.
To create a primary partition , the size is in MB
Now, we have done installation and ASM instance Creation.
Note:We can use the DBCA to create addition disk groups.
Here we have discussed the ASM installation.Now we will see the Oracle Installation
Step 4: In the next page select the option to create the database.
Step 10: Click Install.
Reference : http://oracledba-vinod.blogspot.com/2009/12/install-oracle-10g-on-windows-xp-using.html